Is English your second language? It is for many Sydneysiders who live in a city buzzing with accents and words from all corners of the globe. If you want to improve your English skills for work or further study, there’s support available to help you learn the language.
Skills for Education and Employment (SEE/Learn English) is a government-funded employment and training program. It provides eligible job seekers with language, literacy, numeracy, job-search and computer literacy training, to help improve their skills in English for use at work or in their studies.
If this sounds like you, or someone you know, let’s explore how you can take the next step in your career with SEE.
What is SEE?
Skills for Education and Employment (SEE/Learn English) is a government-funded program designed to help eligible job seekers improve their English language, job-search and computer skills. The program caters to job seekers who come from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, with the goal of helping you more effectively engage with work and study.
The SEE program provides flexible training in reading, writing and speaking English, as well as lessons in numeracy and employability skills. The English courses and classes are delivered by a SEE program provider, and you’ll be asked to choose a provider once referred to the program by Centrelink.
Who is eligible to enrol in the SEE Program?
The SEE program is open to job seekers whose circumstances meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Aged 15-64
- Are participants in one of these government-funded programs:
- Are an Australian citizen, permanent resident or hold working rights in Australia
- Are in receipt of an income support payment such as Youth Allowance or a Disability Support Pension
- Are not a participant in the NEIS program
- Are not currently a full-time student
Not sure if you’re eligible to enrol in SEE? Get in touch with a SEE program provider, like MTC, to find out if you meet the eligibility criteria.
How will you Learn and Improve your English with SEE?
Once a job seeker has chosen a SEE program provider, they’ll be entitled to receive up to 650 hours of FREE English language, literacy, numeracy, job-search and computer skills training. This training consists of courses and classes delivered by your program provider, tailored to your needs by a flexible part-time or full-time study pathway.
Participants in SEE will learn the following skills within the program:
- English Language: Students will learn to read, write and speak the English language, improving their English skills for work and training.
- Computer Skills: You’ll have separate classes which focus on computer literacy, and how to use computers in English.
- Job Searching Skills: You’ll also develop job search skills including resume writing, answering questions in a job interview, and networking.
- Confidence: Improving your knowledge of the English language will help you build confidence in speaking, which means you’ll develop the self-esteem to tackle any job-search challenge.
At the end of the program, you may be eligible to receive one of the following qualifications:
- 22471VIC Course in Initial General Education for Adults
- 22476VIC Certificate I in General Education for Adults (Introductory)
- 22483VIC Course in English as an Additional Language
- FSK20113 Certificate II in Skills for Work and Vocational Pathways
You’ll complete Skills for Education and Employment with everything you need to more effectively participate in your work or studies.
How will a SEE Program Provider Help you Learn English?
At MTC Australia, our focus is you. Every job seeker has a different level of knowledge of the English language, and we tailor our courses to best suit your needs and experience.
With us, the SEE program involves:
- Accredited SEE Trainers: Our trainers are friendly and experienced in teaching English. They’re here to help you identify and reach your educational and employment goals through a customised training plan.
- Flexible Learning: MTC offers SEE at 15 different locations across Sydney. You can study at a time and location that fits your schedule.
- Respect: You’re unique, and with us you can feel free to be yourself. At MTC, every student is welcome.
- Building Confidence: You’ll learn the knowledge and language skills you need to excel at work or in your training.
We’ve helped thousands of people across NSW. By the end of the program you’ll have improved your skills in reading, writing and speaking English. You’ll also be prepared to take your job-search or training to the next level, and become who you want to be.
Find Out More About SEE and Learning English with MTC
Ready to get started with SEE and improve your English language skills? Get in touch with our friendly team at your nearest MTC Australia branch for a free consultation.
You can also phone us on 1300 232 663, or enquire using our online form.