We understand that big household expenses sometimes come out of the blue. Through the No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS), MTC Australia grants loans to people who earn a low income.
If approved, this allows you to purchase white goods and other household items without having to worry about paying fees or interest.
Who is it For?
To be eligible for a loan from NILS, you need to:
- Be a low-income earner (if you have a Pension or Health Care Card you are a low-income earner)
- Live, work, study or access services within the NILS regions: Inner West, City or St George / Sutherland or be an MTC client
- Be able to repay the loan (usually $20–$30 per fortnight)
- Have lived at your current address for at least three months
- Be able to provide a bank transaction summary from the last 90 days, in addition to copies of your most recent bills.
How it Works
Loans are usually given from $200 up to a maximum of $1,500. This amount can vary depending on your financial circumstances. You can use the loan to buy energy and water-efficient white goods (like a fridge, washing machine, dryer or hot-water heater) and household items such as furniture, a computer, an oven or a TV.
You may also be able to use the loan to cover car expenses, medical costs or education expenses. The loan can’t be used for cash advances, debt repayments or living expenses such as rent, bills, food or clothing.
We can tailor your repayment amounts to suit your circumstances, so you don’t get caught short. The term of the loan is usually 12–18 months, with no fees or interest charges.
NILS is a recycling pool of money – as you make your repayments, the money becomes available for the next borrower. By paying back your loan, you’ll help other people benefit from the same opportunity.
Your Next Step
To apply for a NILS loan, call MTC Australia on 1300 232 663 or fill out the online enquiry form to check whether you’re eligible.
We will then guide you through the application process and arrange an interview with you.
You can download and print the program factsheet and above information via the left-hand link.