Opportunity Hubs provide Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people with the skills, confidence and support to successfully transition from secondary school into further education or work.
Part of OCHRE (Opportunity, Choice, Healing, Responsibility, Empowerment), the NSW Government’s initiative for Aboriginal Affairs, Opportunity Hub is a voluntary program for students in Years 5–12.
Opportunity Hubs create supported pathways for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people from school into tertiary education, training and/or employment. It’s all about helping students stay engaged in education and access exciting opportunities beyond school.
Who is it For?
Students of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent in Years 5–12 are eligible to join the Opportunity Hub.
How it Works
MTC Australia’s Opportunity Hub is based in Campbelltown where we work with more than 60 government and non-government schools. Through group workshops (Years 5–8) and one-on-one sessions (Years 9–12), OCHRE Opportunity Hub Advisors help students build career aspirations, explore career pathways, plan for transition and stay engaged with education and training. The support provided depends on the needs of each student.
- Engage parents and the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community to support the work of the Hub
- Link local education and training providers and youth services into the Hub to help coordinate student pathways
- Engage with local employers and industry
- Coordinate local opportunities for students, including work experience, employment, mentoring, scholarships, internships and volunteer work
- Arrange additional support from relevant agencies and the community as needed
Your Next Step
Students can be referred to the program by their school or they can volunteer to join. Generally students need parental permission.
To get involved or to find out more:
Call MTC Australia on 1300 232 663 or fill out the online enquiry form.
You can download and print the program factsheet and above information via the left-hand link.